Monday, October 29, 2018

Portfolio: September 2018


Tracking my crop’s progress on a monthly basis is an important part of being a Dividend Farmer.  Although I casually monitor news articles and blogs for major events that may affect my investments one way or another, I’m not checking ticker prices on a daily basis.  Instead, each investment is reviewed once a month to record dividend increases, prices changes, and increases in stock quantities due to reinvested dividend paid during the month.

With that in mind, below is the September snapshot of a portion of my portfolio.  I segmented the group by industry and inserted a simple chart to demonstrate how I’ve allocated my dividend selections.

Every stock within each category is a dividend payer.  With the exception of the BDC segment, each category contains two to four different holdings.

Dividend Portfolio - September

This basket of stocks has a current dividend yield, relative to current price, of 3.86%.  All dividends are automatically reinvested with no transactions fees.  Because I’ve held most of these investments for several years, the yield on cost (initial purchase price) is actually .3% to 1.6% greater than the yield on price.  The higher yield on cost results from dividend increases relative to the initial purchase price which remains fixed. 

The total dividends from this basket is tracking to an annual run-rate north of $12,000.  It took several years to get here, but now the dividend returns are outstripping anything I can contribute to my 401K including a company match.  For instance, using $12,000, a 3% contribution, and a 3% company match, my salary would have to be over $200,000 a year to have a similar amount of money injected into my portfolio.  I’ll never command that kind of income.  Ever.  With a long-term dividend investment strategy leveraging the effects of compounding, I don’t have to.  Neither do you.  You just need to get started with the 4Things a Dividend Farmer Needs and work from there.  Food for thought…



The thoughts and opinions expressed here are those of the author, who is not a financial professional.  Opinions expressed here should not be considered investment advice.  They are presented for discussion and entertainment purposes only.  For specific investment advice or assistance, please contact a registered investment advisor, licensed broker, or other financial professional. 


No comments:

Post a Comment